Holy Cross Lutheran Church has been a part of this community since a small group of people began meeting and worshiping together Oak Plaza on Business Hwy. 35. On May 1, 2001, the congregation purchased and moved into its facility at 1001 FM 3036. In 2006, the congregation purchased acreage at the corner of FM 3036 and FM 1781 and began building its new church home. Dedication of the new building was held on February 25, 2007.
In addition to the ministry offered to local residents, Holy Cross provides a significant part of its ministry outreach and mission to Winter Texans. To that end, an additional 8:00 a.m. worship is provided from December through March.
Members of Holy Cross are involved in a number of ways in the community. Members serve as readers and tutors in local schools, volunteers at the Good Samaritan Center and Castaways, as counselor at ACCESS, and in the sheriff’s office. Our pastor serves on the board of the Habitat for Humanity. Holy Cross is also an active participant in the Aransas County Ministerial Alliance and a participating church for the Community Table.
The Membership of Holy Cross participates in the Southwestern Texas Synod and ELCA Mission Support program through budgeted monthly contributions, initiating and supporting significant ministries and mission that include not only our own geographical area but the entire United States and 29 other nations.
2020 Holy Cross Church Council Officers
President: Rhonda Hahn
Vice President: Open
Secretary: Mary K. Herrington
Treasurer: Sterling Frank
Mary K. Herrington
Mary Alice Nugent
Larry Reichert (Winter Texan)
Altar Guild: Bobbie Miner
Choir Director/Music: Dr. William Ricketts
Worship and Music Ministry: Mary Alice Nugent
Sewing Ministry: Ann Schutt